Closing Date : October 31 2021, Sunday
About the Organization:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) based in Paris. They declared purpose is to contribute to promoting international collaboration in education, sciences, and culture in order to increase universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedom proclaimed in the United Nations Charter.
UNESCO World Heritage Center — Requests for International Assistance
International Assistance under the World Heritage Convention is a financial assistance granted to the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention, in order to help them protect the cultural or natural heritage sites inscribed on the World Heritage List or on the List of World Heritage in Danger.
Who can apply?
- All States Parties to the World Heritage Convention are eligible in principle, provided they have paid their contributions to the World Heritage Fund.
- Individuals, foundations, IGOs and NGOs are not eligible for submitting International Assistance requests under the World Heritage Fund.
Moreover, the Operational Guidelines outline that when funds available are limited and a selection has to be made, preference should be given to:
- a Least Developed Country (LDC) or Low Income Economy (LIE) as defined by the United Nations Economic and Social Council’s Committee for Development Policy, or
- a Lower Middle Income Country (LMIC) as defined by the World Bank, or
- a Small Island Developing State (SIDS), or
- a State Party in a post-conflict situation.
Which projects can be funded?
Projects must be related to sites inscribed on the World Heritage List (for Emergency and Conservation & Management) or included in national Tentative Lists (for Preparatory Assistance).
Priority is given to the most threatened properties.
International Assistance under the World Heritage Fund can support projects falling under one of the following three categories:
- Emergency Assistance
- Conservation & Management
- Preparatory Assistance
Grant: US$ 90,864 (September / November 2011)
For more information please check the Link